Hellebore or Helleborus (Christmas Rose) are hardy evergreen perennials with thick leaves and long lasting flowers. There are many varieties with bloom color ranging from white, pinks and burgundies. Most flowers are single petaled, some are spotted and others have double flowers.
- Prefer part sun to full shade. Varies in exposure by variety.
- Long lasting blooms from late winter through spring.
- Deer resistant. Deer usually stay away from this plant.
- Likes rich, moist, well draining soils. Use organic fertilizers and a soil amendment a few times a year to promote thick lush growth and sturdy, long lasting blooms. Try Dr. Earth Rose and Flower food to promote healthy soil = healthy plants.
- Grows from 12′-24″ tall and 12″ -30″ wide, depending upon variety.
- Very versatile- preforms well in containers, landscape or shade gardens.
‘Rosemary’ is hardy to -30 deg. F, grows to 12″ x 18″. Blooms December through May. Part Sun to full shade.
‘Pink Frost’ Flowers open whitish pink aging to burgundy red. Silvery green leaves with red stems. grows to 12-15″ x 18-24″ hardy to zone 5. Part sun to shade.
For additional information on Helleborus visit: www.bloomingnursery.com and www.drearth.com for fertilizing tips, schedules and healthy soil.